Connecther Girls Impact the World Film Festival 2020 Competition, presented by Connecther, is a film festival and scholarship program in which high school and undergraduate college students submit 3-6 minute short films that focus on a variety of global women’s issues, including maternal health, microfinance initiatives, child-marriage, sex-trafficking, poverty alleviation, etc.
Eligibility of ConnectHer Girls Impact the World Film Festival 2020 Competition:
Students enrolled in high school or undergraduate programs are qualified to enter.
If chosen as a finalist, filmmakers must provide proof of enrollment at their school/university. (Special circumstances may be considered for youth who are not in school.)
Filmmakers must be 25 years old or under by the submission date of January 20, 2020.
All countries are welcome to participate, however, due to U.S. export regulations, we may have difficulty disbursing scholarship funds if winners are residents of Cuba, North Korea, Sudan, Iran, and/or Syria.
- Films must be 3 to 6 minutes long.
– They must focus on a Girls Impact the World topic and/or propose solutions to one critical challenge within that topic.
- Films must be created after January 1, 2019.
- Be an original film that does NOT contain copyrighted material.
- Original work should never be a copy or remake of another film. All Girls Impact the World Film Festival film submission must be original works made entirely by students.
That means that scripts and storyboards, directing, cinematography, editing, etc., must be done by students aged 25 and under although teachers and advisers can offer input.
- Actors and film subjects may be non-students.
- Powerpoints will not be accepted.
(1) Raise awareness about current issues affecting women and girls around the world AND/OR
(2) Propose solutions to current challenges faced by women
These issues include:
- Economic independence for women and girls
- Education for girls and women
- Ending child marriage
- Ending FGM
- Gender pay gap – equal pay
- Global health for women and girls
- Honest Beauty
- Maternal mortality
- Poverty affecting women and girls
- Refugee Stories of women and girls
- Sex trafficking and slavery of women and girls
- Stand Up Men
- Teen & child marriage
- Violence against women
- Women and girls in media
- Women and girls in STEM
- Women in business (leadership)
- Women and the environment (including water issues)
Past and present judges include: Nikki Reed (actress, Twilight), Ian Somerhalder (actor, Vampire Diaries), Eloise DeJoria (actress and philanthropist), Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy (director, Academy Award winner), Christy Turlington Burns (founder of Every Mother Counts), Jeff Skoll (founder of Participant Media), Jean Oelwang (CEO of Virgin Unite), Zainab Salbi (founder of Women for Women International), Richard Curtis (director) and Dr. Alaa Murabit (Sustainable Development Goals advocate). To see our full list of judges, including two Nobel Laureates, please click here.
Winners will be awarded over $25K in prizes! The Red Carpet Event for the 2020 awards ceremony will be held in Austin, TX, USA – date TBD
January 20, 2020
Get contest application form Here.
Voting Rules for People’s Choice Award
For each video, there is a limit of one (1) vote per person for Facebook, respectively. In competing for the award, each Entrant certifies full compliance with all rules governing the Contest from initial submission of a film through the time of award.
- One vote per Facebook
- No inordinate number of votes compared to views
- Fair and honest participation without the use of automated systems
- No prize offerings for participation
- ConnectHER deems full supervision and control to uphold integrity of the contest.
- Any other offensive conduct indicative of tampering with the voting process identified by ConnectHER, in its sole and absolute discretion, will be final on Entrant, along with any resulting disqualification or remedial actions ConnectHER deems necessary or advisable to uphold the integrity of the Contest.
Can I use a film that I have submitted elsewhere?
No. Entries must be original films that have NOT yet been submitted to other film festivals.
What else do I need to include in my film?
If your film contains any graphic content, include a warning near the beginning of the film. ConnectHER has full discretion in accepting or denying films, particularly in instances where film submissions contain nudity, profanity, violence, or sexually explicit content.
At the end of your film, please add a slide that lists at least two organizations that are working on solutions to the issue(s) that you address.
– Include the final GITW end marker: https://www.connecther.org/images/end-marker.png
SHARE YOUR FILM! Once your film has been approved and placed in the Girls Impact the World Film Festival gallery, share it! A People’s Choice winner will be selected by judges from the top 10 films with the most votes.