Fee Waiver Scholarships for young Africans:- An Australia Awards Short Course is a training and professional development opportunity funded by the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Short courses are available for professionals in specialised fields from eligible African countries.
The short courses strengthen the professional capacity and leadership skills of participants, enabling them to contribute more effectively to development in their home countries.
Short Courses offer opportunities for short-term post-graduate training delivered in Australia and/or in Africa for up to six weeks.
Sectors and Courses
Australia Awards Short Courses focus on priority sectors that effectively support Africa’s economic growth and long-term development. Previously specialised courses were offered in the following sectors; Extractives, Agriculture, Policy, Environment, Health and Technical Vocational Education & Training.
Courses vary from year to year.
Fee Waiver Scholarships for young Africans Requirements
Are you interested in applying for an Australia Awards Short Course? To be considered, you must meet the following requirements:
- You meet relevant post-graduate work experience requirements (as indicated in the relevant country’s requirements)
- You can demonstrate a clear vision of how the knowledge and skills you will gain, through the short course, will be used to drive policy reform and improve practice in your home country
- Your English proficiency is sufficient to enable full participation in a training course delivered in English
- You meet all the requirements of the Australian Government for the appropriate student visa (subclass 500), for short courses
- Your minimum academic qualification is at least a four year bachelor’s degree or equivalent (as indicated in the relevant country’s requirements)
- You are a mid-career professional, currently employed in a relevant field and sector
For eligible mid-career professionals who receive a short course the following benefits will generally apply:
Fully paid visa expenses
• A contribution to living expenses for the duration of the course
• Fully paid accommodation for the duration of the course
• Fully paid medical insurance for the duration of the course
• Adjustment support for women and people with disabilities, if required• Australian educational experience
• Fully paid tuition fees
• Fully paid economy class travel to and from their home country to the course delivery location(s)
• The opportunity to develop and maintain global links with Australians and other Africans
• The opportunity to join a prestigious alumni network after the short course• Continued professional development after completing the award.
Citizens from the following countries are eligible to apply for Australia Awards Short Course:
• Cote d’Ivoire
• South Africa
• South Sudan*
For more information on Australia Awards Short Courses, please see the links below:
- Apply now
- Application and selection process
- Pre-departure support
- Australia Awards Short Courses – 2020 intake brochure