How to get admission in German Colleges and Universities:- There are various rules that should be followed when applying for admission at a German university.
The rules for an admission or DAAD Scholarship application depending on the university that you choose to attend.
Below are some of the guidelines to follow when seeking to secure a place at German universities:
How to get admission in German Colleges and Universities.
What is the minimum eligibility criteria to get admission in Universities of Germany?
Meeting the minimum entry requirements does not necessarily mean that you will get a direct enrollment to study the subject of your choice.
There are high numbers of students who may choose the same subject that you choose. This puts limitations where the university does not have enough resources to cater for the large number.
This is why students applying for various subjects have to undergo the admission procedure.
Admission restrictions come in two ways. There are those that are applicable to specific universities and there are those that are applicable to all universities in Germany.
In cases where there are no academic restrictions, a student can get a direct enrollment.
The nature of the academic restrictions in Germany
Academic restrictions can be either at specific universities or at all the universities in Germany. The restrictions that apply to all German universities focus on the more popular courses.
These include veterinary medicine, human medicine, pharmacy, and dentistry. These courses have numerous classes (NC).
To get admission to study either of these courses, you have to be placed by the Foundation for University Admissions in Germany.
Other restrictions only apply to specific universities. Courses that have local restrictions are known as NC courses.
When the university considers placement for the courses, they not only look at the grades but also motivation letters, interviews and any tests they may offer. Local restrictions differ from one university to the other.
Note: make sure that you contact the international office of the selected German university where you will get information on the application process for the DAAD Scholarship.
Where to apply for University admission in Germany?
International students can apply for placement at German universities in three ways. One is by the ‘Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung’, they can send a direct application to the select university and they can use the university application service for international students.
When choosing the application method, you have to take into consideration your country of origin, your qualification for placement as well as the subject you will study.
What documents are needed for German University Admission?
To get detailed information on the documents that you will need, you will have to go to international offices.
These offices will give you information on the entire application process and the required documents. One can get an application form from the institution of choice or from Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung.
Some of the general documents for College admission in Germany include:
- A passport photograph
- Clear copies of academic certificates from previous academic institutions
- A certified copy of the qualification that qualifies you for placement
- Your subjects and grades as well as translation of the same
- A clear copy of your travel passport
- Copies of certificates of language courses you may have undertaken
Note: the copies that are needed in the application process should be certified and should be translated to German standards.
To get certification for your copies, you will be needed to contact the Embassy of Germany in your country. There are those universities that accept applications made in English or French.
Getting certification for your documents requires paying a fee. The application process as well requires paying an application fee and this is dependent on the application method you choose and the German University you select. Some German Colleges do not charge an application fee.
You may also read How to Submit DAAD Scholarship Application here.
When to apply for admission to German Universities?
Most of the universities have applications for the winter semester begin in May and end in mid July. The winter semester begins in September or October.
The applications for the summer semester begin in December and end in mid-January. The summer semester starts in March or April. Students who get acceptance letters begin receiving them from August/ September or February/March.
Letters of rejection are sent later after the letters of acceptance have been sent. These dates apply to public universities and private universities may have different dates.
Tips on applying for admissions and how to get admission in German Colleges and Universities:
- Send more than one applications. When you send application letters to multiple universities, you have greater chances of being accepted.
- Do not go for popular institutions. Most of the students choose popular and renowned universities. However, to increase your chances of being accepted, you should go for the other unpopular institutions.
- Be diverse. You should not just wait for your academic grades to speak for you. Other qualifications may increase your chances such as aptitude tests or other professional and approved tests.
- Go for the lottery. There are higher education institutions that give placements but some students turn them down. They then put up these spots through lottery where students get a chance to win the placements. Research on how and when various institutions offer the lottery.
- Choose the summer semester. Approximately 25% of bachelor programs can be started in the summer semester.
Wishing you all the best in your quest for quality education. Please feel free to share this post with family and friends, and if you have questions, simply use the comment section below.
© copyright 2021 – All rights reserved