JSK Journalism Fellowships 2020-2021:- John S. Knight (JSK) Journalism Fellowship program at Stanford University aims to foster new ideas in journalism through innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership.
Each year it brings up to 20 journalists and journalism innovators from the United States and around the world to spend the year at Stanford.
About the Award:
The JSK Journalism Fellowships supports diverse journalists from around the world who are deeply engaged in exploring solutions to the most urgent issues facing journalism. Innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership in journalism are the foundation of our work, which seeks to improve the quality of news and information reaching the public.
From September 2019 to June 2020, the JSK fellows will spend their time on individual and collaborative projects. Although it is not an academic program, they will have the option to sit in on classes, while also participating in special workshops and weekly events, and exploring the abundant resources on campus and throughout Silicon Valley.
Journalists and journalism innovators seeking to transform the industry are invited to apply by proposing journalism projects, framed as questions, that fit within the four themes that are the focus of the program. (The questions below are examples; you should propose an original question):
- Challenging Misinformation and Disinformation — How might journalists use social listening tools to identify and counter misinformation?
- Holding the Powerful Accountable — How might journalists build collaborative networks to better track the financial dealings of political leaders in emerging democracies?
- Eradicating News Deserts and Strengthening Local News — How might news organizations engage neighborhood groups in helping disseminate information people need to fully participate in their communities?
- Fighting Bias, Intolerance and Injustice — How might journalists use artificial intelligence to detect bias in how municipal governments deliver services to local residents?
Application Deadline: 4th December, 2019 11: 59 pm
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Stanford University, USA
JSK Journalism Fellowships 2020-2021 Eligibility:
- Experience: U.S. applicants for a JSK Fellowship ideally have at least seven years of full-time professional experience; international applicants ideally have at least five years. But we also consider less experienced applicants with outstanding achievements.
- Degree: No college degree is required.
- Professional Background: We consider applicants who fall into one or more of these categories:
- Journalists employed by a news organization or journalism freelancers
- Journalism entrepreneurs and innovators
Journalism business and management executives
The John S. Knight Journalism Fellowship is focused on journalism innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership.
We select JSK Fellows who are passionate about finding ways to address challenges facing journalism and journalists.
To that end, we ask applicants to identify a challenge they want to pursue and tell us a little bit about it. Those who are selected for a fellowship spend a significant portion of their time here working on that challenge.
Selected fellows identify and articulate a challenge in journalism that they want to work on addressing. We expect them to arrive in the program with more questions than answers and we seek people who are eager to experiment and to change course based on what they learn along the way.
JSK Fellows learn from, and collaborate with, each other. Diversity of background, experience and viewpoints is a fundamental value of our program. We enthusiastically include spouses, partners and families in fellowship life.
There is no single formula for identifying a journalism challenge that will assure you are selected for a JSK Fellowship.
The best advice we can give you is this: Identify a challenge that you are passionate about pursuing and that is important to helping journalism.
If you are looking for a sabbatical, this is not the program for you.
Number of Awardees: 20
Value of Fellowship:
JSK Journalism Fellowships 2020-2021 Fellows will receive several benefits, including base stipends of $75,000, health insurance and Stanford tuition, and are provided additional support for fellows with children.
Partners and spouses of fellows get to experience some of the same benefits of the program. The total financial support to fellows ranges from $95,000 to $145,000. We also help fellows find housing.
Other benefits of the John S. Knight Journalism Fellowship:
- Access to some of the world’s most innovative thinkers and organizations, from technology giants to hot new startups to Stanford’s 100-plus special institutes and centers.
- Opportunities to join classes taught by top-notch Stanford professors and instructors in a wide range of specialties. It is not uncommon for classes to be taught by people who also are working in the private sector.
- A rich intellectual and cultural campus life, including live theater, music and dance performances and special lectures and events.
- Fellowship social events where everyone can get to know one another. A number of these events also are open to fellows’ children.
- Spouses and partners are eligible to take classes and attend fellowship seminars just as the fellows do. Fellows’ children can attend excellent Palo Alto-area schools and are included in some special fellowship social activities.
- Exposure to the incredible diversity of world views, experiences and cultural traditions that about 20 fellows from all over the world bring to the program.
- New friendships, professional connections and entrepreneurial skills that will continue beyond your 10 months with us.
Duration of Fellowship: 10 months (September to June)
How to Apply: Apply via link below