Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships application is currently open for students to apply. Annually, up to 166 scholarships are given out. See details below.
About the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) were established to attract and maintain top-tier PhD candidates, as well as to position Canada as a global leader in research and higher education.
The awards are for doctoral studies (or a combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) and are open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and international citizens.
Universities in Canada with a Vanier CGS allotment. The Vanier CGS is only tenable at the qualifying Canadian institution that made the nomination, without exception.
You may also see: Live and Work in Canada Using Student Study Visa Permit
Field of Study:
PhD programs in health research, natural sciences and/or engineering research, and social sciences and/or humanities research (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD) are available.
As a requirement for program completion, an eligible doctoral program must include a significant research component that leads to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital, and/or exhibit that has been merit/expert-reviewed at the institutional level.
Clinically-oriented programs of study, such as clinical psychology, as well as joint graduate research programs with a professional degree (e.g., MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) are also eligible programs if they feature a strong autonomous research component, as indicated above.
The scholarships are valued at $50,000 per year for a total of three years, and it will be given to 166 successful candidates every year.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Eligibility:
To be eligible for a Vanier CGS, you must meet the following requirements:
• just one Canadian institution may nominate you, and that institution must have obtained a Vanier CGS quota;
• be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including combination undergraduate/graduate research programs like MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a proven and strong research component). It’s worth noting that financing is only available for the PhD element of a combined degree.
• as of May 1, 2022, have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral study
• by 1 May 2022, they will have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program if:
MD/PhD, MA/PhD, DVM/PhD are examples of collaborative graduate research programs. Applicants who fall into this category have access to the 32-month window regardless of whether they were previously enrolled in a Master’s program; or accelerated directly from a Bachelor’s to a PhD (no time spent in a Master’s program); or advanced from a Master’s to a Doctoral program without having completed the Master’s degree.
• in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent, you have earned a first-class average as established by your institution. Candidates are recommended to inquire about the definition of a first-class average from the school; and
• To pursue or finish a doctoral degree, you must not have or have held a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC.
You may also see:
How to Apply:
Candidates must be suggested by a Canadian institution that has a quota for the program in which they wish to enroll. The Vanier CGS program does not accept direct applications.
One of two methods is used to start an application. Either the student notifies the graduate studies faculty of the chosen university of their intention to apply to the Vanier CGS program, or the institution commences the nomination procedure by contacting the prospective applicant.
The student prepares the application and uses the ResearchNet application system to send it to the nominating institution by their internal deadline. By November 2, 2021, the nominated institution must submit proposed nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat).
For More Information Visit the Official Scholarship Website: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html